Thursday 19 August 2010

Meet our Members - Lisa Johnson-Richards

As I sit here trying to write a piece about how it all started, I really do wonder where to begin…

Looking back, I guess my whole life has been a preparation for doll making. I always knew I wanted to be an artist and as a child I spent many hours with my father in his studio drawing or painting. Following in his footsteps I attended Art College where I trained as a Graphic Designer/Illustrator for four years. filling my portfolio with many paintings of faces & fashion illustrations. I worked as a serious artist in the Advertising field, before leaving only to start a family some eight years later.

With the birth of each of my children came beautiful Christening gifts, gifts which were hand-crafted by my father. The first was a Rocking Horse for Christian, the second gift, a dolls house for Rebecca was a very special gift indeed as it opened the door in to the wonderful world of miniatures for me.

Doll making soon followed and if I am honest it was something I ‘knew’ I could do – however, with each newly completed piece I am continually amazed that it actually came from my own hand.
I sculpt in to the wet clay which originally came from a commercial mould and this is a constant struggle to me - yet an affirmation of my talents & skills. Painting is a time when I breathe life in to my dolls using special techniques I have developed during the 10 years I have been creating my dolls... which allow me to create life-like appearances. Only when I am entirely happy do I begin costuming preferring to use only vintage materials which somehow spill out of my numerous drawers in my studio.

To me, doll-making, is such a multifaceted art form, thus it allows me the opportunity to utilise every skill I have within me to create a beautiful work of art.

Very possibly the reason I cannot imagine doing anything else is because I find it deeply satisfying and I continue to grow as an artist as I keep searching and learning with each new piece…

Lisa

Lisa Johnson-Richards
150 BEDE BURN ROAD
JARROW
TYNE & WEAR
ENGLAND, UK
NE32 5AX

Telephone: 0191 421 4910
Mobile:- 0789 977 7078
International: +44 191 421 4910

e-Mail: lisajohnsonrichards@blueyonder.co.uk
Website: www.lisajohnsonrichards.com
Blog: www.lisajohnsonrichards.com/blog/

1 comment: